Thursday, August 27, 2009

Week four task - Search engines

Search engines search for the keyword(s) in your entry in websites. They decide whether the page is going to be relevant based on things like how many times the word appears, if it's in the heading etc. They rank them based on how relevant they seem to be, the content, and also the search engines use information about how websites and documents are arranges. The relevance or usefulness also takes into account whether the page has any links. I found when researching this that there are lots of ways businesses can change their pages to give them a higher ranking in the results - crazy.

I use Google mostly. It's in my toolbar so it's the most readily available and usually provides the answer I want - even if sometimes I have to alter my search a couple of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment